- Departments G - Z
- Sanitation & Recycling
- Compost, Yard and Garden Waste
Compost, Yard and Organic Waste
The City of West Fargo does not collect compost or yard waste at the curb. Drop-off locations are available throughout the town during the spring, summer and fall for yard waste.
- Yard waste includes organic, biodegradable material from lawn trimming or raking, as well as leaves, vines and garden waste.
- Also includes leftover fall produce and Halloween pumpkins.
- Yard waste does not include brush, branches or bushes.
The current yard waste drop-off locations are:
- Department of Sanitation (117 8th St. W.)
- Eagle Run Water Tower (40th Ave. S. and Sheyenne St.)
- 17th St. E. (between 2nd Ave. E. and Starr Ave.)
- Transfer Station (1620 Main Ave. W.)
These collection sites include a large dumpster for the grass, leaves or other yard waste (again, no brush or branches allowed).
The collection site also includes a smaller receptacle for plastic bags and boxes used to transport the material. Please open the bags and dump the yard waste into the roll-off box. Do not throw your plastic bags in with yard waste as they will contaminate the compost.
Branches and Curbside Brush Recycling
The City of West Fargo has recently added a grapple truck to its fleet for the purpose of curbside brush pickup. City crews will circulate on garbage collection days from May 1 to Oct. 31 with a grapple truck. You do not need to schedule a pickup. Below are the guidelines to ensure all brush gets collected:
- The Curbside Brush Pickup Program runs from May 1 to Oct. 31.
- All brush must be out by 7 a.m. on your garbage day.
- All brush must be in one pile.
- Branches should be in lengths of 4-feet or less. They do not need to be bundled.
- All piles must be at least 10 feet away from any tree, hydrant, streetlight, mailbox, utility box or anything in the boulevard that would impede the grapple from collecting the brush.
- Branches should be placed next to curbs, but not on concrete or over sprinkler heads.
- Roots and stumps cannot be collected by the grapple truck. Bring these items to the Transfer Station at no cost at 1620 Main Ave W, West Fargo between 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
For free disposal however, residents can also take branches to the
City of West Fargo Department of Sanitation Transfer Station (1620 W Main Avenue, West Fargo)
This program is not intended to subsidize commercial tree services. City crews will not pick up any brush generated by commercial tree services. It is the responsibility of the property owner or the commercial tree service provider to haul the brush to the West Fargo Transfer station for disposal.
For a full description of the curbside brush pickup program, click here.
Holiday trees will be picked up from resident's boulevards between Jan. 3-13. After Jan. 13, holiday trees should be brought to the Transfer Station for disposal.
- All trees must have the bags and stands removed for efficient processing.
- Please watch the local newspaper and cable access channel for further information around the holiday season.
- Trees are not always picked up with the trash, so please leave them on the curb until a crew can get to them.
- Trees buried in snow banks will not be picked up.
Wreaths are not collected with Holiday trees.
Bio-Mass Recycling Program
The City of West Fargo offers bio-mass recycling for grass, leaves, branches, logs, compost materials, garden waste, yard waste, Christmas trees and other organic materials. The city also offers mulch for residents to use in personal landscapes.