The West Fargo Police Department has four officers and their canine partners assigned to this specialized unit. The K-9s handle all areas of regular patrol work, but are available for specialized roles such as:
- Burglary or robbery response
- Crime in-progress calls
- Area and building searches
- Vehicle and narcotic searches
- Tracking and apprehension of fleeing suspects
- Searching for lost persons
- Community engagement opportunities
- Comfort dog capabilities
The K-9 Unit goes through ongoing training to maintain and improve skills. Some of the dogs are cross-trained to specialize in more than one area. The West Fargo Police Department currently has one German Shepherd/Belgian Malinois cross, one Belgian Malinois and a Labrador mix.
When not at work, the K-9s live with their handlers and are a part of their families.