The smart water meter system is an integrated system of smart meters, communications networks, and data management tools that enable two-way communication between utilities and customers. The new system uses base stations to read water meters and sends the information directly to billing for a faster, more accurate reading of water meters.
The new system will also include the rollout of a customer portal, that will allow customers to see and track their usage in real-time.
- Efficient metering and billing
- Increase user control over water consumption
- Lower utility capital expenses
- Faster outage identification and restoration
- 9,700 digital water meters installed in homes
- 1,900 digital water meters not installed in homes due to supply shortage
- The Water Tracker website is available for residents to track water usage
All residents receiving water from the City of West Fargo will have their meters replaced. A small number of residents receiving Cass Rural water will not receive updated meters.